Empowered: A Tale of Three Cities Taking Charge of their Energy Future
The book Empowered tells the stories of citizen movements in Boulder, Minneapolis, and Madison seeking greater control and progress toward a clean energy future.
Most of my writing is as a correspondent for Greentech Media, the Energy Transition blog, Grist, and POWER Magazine. I also sometimes publish essays in Electricity Journal, Public Utilities Fortnightly, and others. And I write reports for foundation, research company, and NGO clients.
Three part series on biopower:
- “On Biofuels, Part 1: Dispelling myths about biopower,” Energy Transition Blog, January 9, 2017.
- “On Biofuels, part 2: Climate science for bioenergy is lost in the woods,” Energy Transition Blog, January 11, 2017.
- “On Biofuels, part 3: The future of bioenergy,” Energy Transition blog, January 19, 2017.
- Can India Really Build 100 Gigawatts of Solar?, Greentech Media, July 21, 2016.
- Solving the Puzzle: A Case Study of the Renewable Energy Leadership Prize, for the Boston Green Ribbon Commission, May 2016.
- Curtailment of Renewable Energy in California and Beyond, Electricity Journal, July 2015, with Rachel Golden.
- How Wind and Solar will Blow Up Power Markets, Greentech Media, August 11, 2015.
- Living the EV/PV Dream: How I Chose to Pair My Solar System With an Electric Car, Greentech Media, December 23, 2014.
- FERC Order 745 and the Epic Battle Between Electricity Supply and Demand, POWER Magazine, December 18, 2014.
- California Plans for Even More Renewable Power in Its Future, POWER Magazine, December 17, 2014.
- Aligning Markets with Clean Energy Policy, Electricity Journal, December 2014. Also at Power Markets Project.
- Why You Should Question the Value Proposition of Energy Storage, Greentech Media, October 17, 2014.
- Texas & Germany: Energy Twins?, POWER Magazine, August 28, 2014.
- Germany Reforms Renewable Power Laws, POWER, July 11, 2014.
- The Money Problem With Germany’s Renewable Energy Law in 3 Charts, Greentech Media, June 5, 2014.
- The US Midwest: A Leader in Clean Energy, essay for the Energy Foundation annual report, also printed in Renewable Energy World, in the May-June 2014 issue of the e-magazine.
- Dealing with the Duck, Public Utilities Fortnightly (PDF), with Michael Hogan of RAP, January 2014.
- Are You Ready to Compete with Your Customers? POWER Magazine, February 1, 2014, with James Newcomb of RMI.
- Hawaii: Postcard from the Future of Energy, Greentech Media, February 13, 2014. Also on The Energy Collective, Renewable Energy World, and EcoWatch.
- 122% Wind Power in Denmark: Postcard from the Future of Energy, Renewable Energy World, December 11, 2013. Also on EcoBusiness, the AWEA Blog, Energy Collective, and Greentech Media.
- The Official Explanation for the German Energy Transition, the Energy Transition blog, October 28, 2013. Also on Energy Collective and Renewable Energy World.
- Renewable Electricity Standards: State Success Stories, with the Governors Wind Energy Coalition, March 2013. (PDF)
- The Machine in the Garden: Linking Biofuels Research and Development to Ecological Principles, with Gretchen Bonfert of the McKnight Foundation, March 2008 poster presentation at the Conference on the Ecological Dimensions of Biofuels. (PDF)
- Powerful Solutions: Seven Ways to Switch America to Renewable Electricity, Union of Concerned Scientists, January 1999. With Alan Nogee, Steve Clemmer, and Brent Haddad.