Most of my writing is as a correspondent for Greentech Media, the Energy Transition blog, Grist, and POWER Magazine. I also sometimes publish essays in Electricity Journal, Electricity Policy.com, Public Utilities Fortnightly, and others. And I write reports for foundation, research company, and NGO clients.
Highlights are listed below.
The book Empowered tells the stories of citizen movements in Boulder, Minneapolis, and Madison seeking greater control and progress toward a clean energy future.
Three part series on biopower:
- “On Biofuels, Part 1: Dispelling myths about biopower,” Energy Transition Blog, January 9, 2017.
- “On Biofuels, part 2: Climate science for bioenergy is lost in the woods,” Energy Transition Blog, January 11, 2017.
- “On Biofuels, part 3: The future of bioenergy,” Energy Transition blog, January 19, 2017.
- Can India Really Build 100 Gigawatts of Solar?, Greentech Media, July 21, 2016.
- Solving the Puzzle: A Case Study of the Renewable Energy Leadership Prize, for the Boston Green Ribbon Commission, May 2016.
- Curtailment of Renewable Energy in California and Beyond, Electricity Journal, July 2015, with Rachel Golden.
- How Wind and Solar will Blow Up Power Markets, Greentech Media, August 11, 2015.
- Living the EV/PV Dream: How I Chose to Pair My Solar System With an Electric Car, Greentech Media, December 23, 2014.
- FERC Order 745 and the Epic Battle Between Electricity Supply and Demand, POWER Magazine, December 18, 2014.
- California Plans for Even More Renewable Power in Its Future, POWER Magazine, December 17, 2014.
- Aligning Markets with Clean Energy Policy, Electricity Journal, December 2014. Also at Power Markets Project.
- Why You Should Question the Value Proposition of Energy Storage, Greentech Media, October 17, 2014.
- Texas & Germany: Energy Twins?, POWER Magazine, August 28, 2014.
- Germany Reforms Renewable Power Laws, POWER, July 11, 2014.
- The Money Problem With Germany’s Renewable Energy Law in 3 Charts, Greentech Media, June 5, 2014.
- The US Midwest: A Leader in Clean Energy, essay for the Energy Foundation annual report, also printed in Renewable Energy World, in the May-June 2014 issue of the e-magazine.
- Dealing with the Duck, Public Utilities Fortnightly (PDF), with Michael Hogan of RAP, January 2014.
- Are You Ready to Compete with Your Customers? POWER Magazine, February 1, 2014, with James Newcomb of RMI.
- Hawaii: Postcard from the Future of Energy, Greentech Media, February 13, 2014. Also on The Energy Collective, Renewable Energy World, and EcoWatch.
- 122% Wind Power in Denmark: Postcard from the Future of Energy, Renewable Energy World, December 11, 2013. Also on EcoBusiness, the AWEA Blog, Energy Collective, and Greentech Media.
- The Official Explanation for the German Energy Transition, the Energy Transition blog, October 28, 2013. Also on Energy Collective and Renewable Energy World.
- Renewable Electricity Standards: State Success Stories, with the Governors Wind Energy Coalition, March 2013. (PDF)
- The Machine in the Garden: Linking Biofuels Research and Development to Ecological Principles, with Gretchen Bonfert of the McKnight Foundation, March 2008 poster presentation at the Conference on the Ecological Dimensions of Biofuels. (PDF)
- Powerful Solutions: Seven Ways to Switch America to Renewable Electricity, Union of Concerned Scientists, January 1999. With Alan Nogee, Steve Clemmer, and Brent Haddad.